Skip to main content

Sew Straight and Gather Legends Pattern

I was a tester for Sew Straight and Gather's Legends Girls and Ladies Pattern.  For full disclosure, I received the pattern for free in exchange for testing.  By the way, her super low prices are even lower because, they are in Canadian Dollars.  If you want both you can get the bundle here.
This is a super stylish knit top or dress that offers two variations for each option. This is a bit more complicated sew for a knit project, hence the intermediate skill rating, but even then I made three versions of the pattern in a couple of days.  My daughter and I are wearing the Top in View A.  The polka dot dress is Dress View A.
When SS&G posted a preview line drawing of her pattern I was really excited by the neckline and profile of the top and really wanted to help with testing.  I was not disappointed the pattern is well drafted and the construction method is amazing.  The V is just enough to draw attention upwards, but not too much to need a modesty panel.  The collar is a fun touch that isn't constricting or distracting.  I was worried that the top would cling to my waist and accent my muffin top, but I graded to the proper size for my waist and didn't have any trouble.  I think that my fabric choice also helped a lot.
Besides the style and fit, what I really love about this pattern is the concealed seams construction method.  The front is two layers, so you can actually sandwich all of the top seams between the two front layers.  Using clear pictures (with fabric that has an obvious right and wrong side) she carefully walks you through constructing the bodice.  She is making a video that will support the clean construction, but it really is so simple that you don't need the video to sew the top. 
Susan is 38 1/2" tall her chest measures 21" and her waist is 20".  I made a straight size 3 for her with both versions.  The dress was the first pattern that has since been modified.  The collar was shortened so that it would fit more snug and not push away at the back of the neck.  I really like this version if you want to turn down the collar.  The armscye was also lowered, so any under arm wrinkles should also be resolved.  Her dress is made out of Joann's Doodles Collection Cotton Lycra that is thick and stretchy and honestly really wonderful to sew.  I wish I had more, or that they would at least offer more prints in that blend.

This is the first time I've ever made matching outfits.  I was hesitant, but a friend suggested my daughter would love it if we matched.  She is only 3, so I figured I'd try it and see what she thought.  Turns out she loves matching mom.  So far we have worn them (at the same time) for the pictures and also to Joann's to get more fabric.
The top was made out of rayon/spandex that I bought last year when I first decided to try sewing adult patterns, aka selfish sewing.  It's been in my sewing room waiting for me to work up the courage to make the GreenStyle Katie, but I finally decided just to sew it.  I was afraid the print was too large, but I really love how it turned out.  I also love the softness and drape of the rayon blend.  This fabric combination does not get the same look as a cotton/spandex at the collar, but the pattern has negative ease and I really didn't want anything that would fit tight around my muffin top.  It's so neat to see how different fabrics change this pattern.
I sewed a size 12 blended out to a 14 for the waist and 16 for the hips.  My measurements are 36" chest, 29" waist, and 42" hips.  This is a normal alteration for me and has become second nature when sewing.   I just grab my French curve and make the same changes to the front and back pieces of the pattern before tracing.  The fact that I can custom fit my tops and pants is why I sew.  I'm 5'2" and did not add or remove any length at the modifications line of the pattern. 
SS&G's patterns feature layers (print only the sizes you need), no trim pages, embedded links, a pages to print guide (only print what you need for your size and options), and a cutting layout diagram. The pattern has a size chart and a finished measurement chart.  There is guidance on how to take measurements, how to blend sizes, and how to lengthen or shorten the pattern.  If you are new to knits there is a full page of tips that make sewing with knits simple.  Plus there is a great Glossary of sewing terms at the end.
  The pattern includes pieces for the front, back, and sleeves.  The sleeves and body pieces include notches to help match them up when they are sewn together.  The ladies pattern features different armscye cut lines depending of if you choose sleeveless or sleeved.  All of the pieces fit together beautifully.  The ladies pattern is drafted for a B cup, so if your chest doesn't fall within the largest measurement, but you need a full bust adjustment you may still be able to make it work.  There are links to full bust adjustments in the pattern.  This is designed for knits that stretch 50% in both directions.  Some testers uses knits that were less stretchy vertically with okay results, but others couldn't get the top over their child's heads.  If you choose a knit that is outside of her recommendations just be aware you probably won't be as happy with the fit.
I hope my review was helpful and can't wait to sew up a few more for myself and my daughter.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Puperita Liberty Blouse (with Liberty Lawn Bias)

Puperita's Liberty Style Blouse is a lovely top for girls size 3-10. I've had this pattern for a very long time and can't believe I waited so long to sew it.  I used a rayon remnant from Jo-Ann's, so it is perfect for a Texas Summer. The sleeve is gathered at the cap giving it a pretty flutter.  I did change the sleeves to have a rolled hem instead of a regular hem, mainly because I really like using that function on my BabyLock. The neckline and armscye are finished with bias tape.  I bought some Liberty Bias tape last year and decided this was the perfect project to try it out.  I love the pretty touch inside the blouse. The blouse has four tiny pleats in the front and back of the bodice that are a very sweet and simple detail. The back buttons.  I adored these butterfly buttons when I found them and they actually are one of the main reasons Susie will wear the blouse. Happy Sewing!

Children's Corner Nora

I bought the Dear Stella Flamingo knit and Children's Corner Nora's Knit Dress pattern at my local quilt shop, Sew Special Quilts .  I love that they offer great quality patterns and fabrics for more than quilting. The pattern offers sizes 1-6, but be aware they are not nested, so if your child is skinny like mine it is not easy to blend sizes.  Normally I would have sewn her a size 4 width and 6 length, but since each size is a separate tissue page I just made a straight 6.  There is a bit of gaping at her neck, but since it is a dress I think the loose fit is okay.  If I had made the circle skirt version (View A) I would have wanted a tighter fit. She was past posing for pictures at this point It has a neckline facing instead of a neckband or binding.  You do have to stitch the facing down, so a coverstitch machine or twin needle are needed.  You may have to zoom in to see the topstitching on the facing edge.  The pattern had pieces to use as a template, but I just

Puperita Spinkles T-Shirt and Sprinkles Shorts

Summer is already here in San Antonio, TX, it's been 90 degrees a few days already, so the Sprinkles set is perfect.  ( I was a pattern tester and received the patterns for free.  I'm also a volunteer admin in Puperita's Facebook group Puperita Teamwork ).  The top has a small drop sleeve (no sleeves to attach) making it so quick to sew.  I love the rounded hi-lo hem and slightly A-line shape of the shirt.  The shorts feature pockets!  What kid doesn't want pockets? Susie is 45.5" tall, but pretty skinny, so I stuck with size 6 and the fit was perfect. Sprinkles T-Shirt pattern features: 3/8" seam allowances 3/4" hem allowance Layers to print the sizes needed Trim Pages Body Measurement Table (Imperial and Metric) Garment Ease for the chest Cutting Layout Guidance for sewing knits on a sewing machine Clear pictures and instructions for assembly (fabric has an obvious right and wrong side) Size Newborn to 10 Pattern pi